Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Class Anthology Part II









The second half of the Class Anthology was equally as interesting as the first. I was again able to compare my writing ability and style to others. There were several essays that I enjoyed. It was great to see how different everyone thought about the same essays. There were multiple essays written on Annie Dillard’s “The Wreck of Time,” but each essay had a different outtake on it. Another frequently used essay was “The Myth of the Ant Queen,” and the essays on this were all very different from each other.
One of the essays that I liked was “Life is a Gift”, by Will Callander. In his essay he discussed how life was precious like in Annie Dillard’s essay the “Wreck of Time”. Football was a frequently used analogy, and I thought this was a good analogy because it talked about talent. Talent truly is a gift that we are given by God, and it is unfortunate when it’s taken away in the blink of an eye. Heath Ledger was a very talented person that many people enjoyed watching in movies. However, when he passed away, there were many upset people because of his talent. I think that life is something I frequently take for granted myself, so I really appreciated this essay.
Another essay that I enjoyed was “How Do You See It,” by Chelsie Stevens. I like this essay a bunch because it spoke about significance. Leo F. Buscaglia does have a really good quote “Time has no meaning in itself unless we choose to give it significance.” A person really does choose if their life is significant or not. There really is not a hard definition of significance because everyone decides what it means to them. For some people significance may be a measure of how people perceive them, or maybe having name brand items is what they feel makes them important. Significance is how important a person decides they are in other people’s lives. It is important to decide what significance is to you because it is very difficult to meet everyone else’s expectations for significance. With your own definition, life will be a lot better because you’re meeting your standards, so your life will also be a lot happier as a result.
All of the essays were very well done. There were good points in all of them, and I feel that I have learned something from each of them. One thing that I learned was that it is important to know your definition of significance is. With this class, I feel that I have improved my overall writing ability, and I think that it will keep continuing to get better the more that I write.

No comments:

Post a Comment